New York’s economic development arm has rescinded its request for proposals for the development of a 1.2-acre lot next to the Javits Center on Manhattan’s West Side.
Empire State Development announced the change of plans Tuesday.
“In light of today’s changed economic environment and in keeping with Governor [Kathy] Hochul’s commitment to building a thriving and equitable New York, Empire State Development is rescinding the current RFP for Site K, one of the last remaining state-owned parcels in Manhattan, to reassess development priorities and solicit more input from the local community and other stakeholders,” said Hope Knight, acting commissioner and president and CEO-designate, in a statement.
“It is critical that this site fulfill the governor’s goal of delivering on the needs of New Yorkers today and into tomorrow.”
The lot is at 418 11th Ave. and is referred to as “Site K.” It’s owned by the New York Convention Center Development Corp., a subsidiary of Empire State Development.
The site is east of the main entrance to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and is a block from the High Line, Hudson Yards, a subway station with access to the 7 train and Hudson River Park. The lot is between 35th and 36th streets and between 11th Avenue and Hudson Boulevard West.
The RFP had been issued in March while Gov. Kathy Hochul‘s predecessor, Andrew Cuomo, was governor.
Development of the site was billed as part of Cuomo’s vision for investing $51 billion to further redevelop Midtown West by upgrading transit facilities, extending the High Line, and adding commercial, retail and residential space, as outlined in his 2021 State of the State address. The Javits Center also this year completed a $1.5 billion, 1.2 million-square-foot expansion.
Developers responding to the RFP could propose a commercial or mixed-use development, including hotel uses complementary to the Javits Center. Proposals with residential uses had to include 30% permanently affordable units.
One of the respondents to the RFP publicly revealed its plans in October.
The Peebles Corp. and its partners unveiled their bid to build a 1,500-foot-tall skyscraper, which would have been among the tallest buildings in Manhattan. What’s more, they said, if chosen, theirs would have been the first skyscraper in the city built by a majority-Black development team.
The skyscraper they proposed, called “Affirmation Tower,” would have included a luxury lifestyle hotel and a microhotel; 1.1 million square feet of office space; an observation deck; a retail promenade at the ground level; and a community event space and the mid-Manhattan branch of the NAACP.
That development team on Thursday said it views the rescission of the RFP as “a temporary setback.”
“We know our proposal, and all it stands for, remains the strongest possible development for the city,” the team said in a statement sent to the New York Business Journal. “We are fully aware of what it means for the city and country that a world-class team led by people of color design, build and develop one of the most iconic buildings in the world.
“We are confident when the state of New York re-issues a new RFP, we will have the winning proposal. We await the next steps.”
© 2022 American City Business Journals. All rights reserved. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/21) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 7/20/21). The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of American City Business Journals.

source